Friday, July 11, 2008

Trip to Florida

Ben and I went to Florida last week. We had a great time. Ben was able to meet Grandma Shirley, Grandpa and Grandma Conkey, and was able to hang out with Mark Samuel and Aunt Linda. The first three days I lounged in the pool, which was divine. Then when Ben arrived it was time to drive to Charleston, then to Atlanta and back. It was the longest car trip Ben had ever been on and he did well until Christine finished reading the Host and started pestering him. Dad almost pulled over a few times to kick them out of the car. Just for the sake of good times.
In Charleston, we were able to drive by Angel Oak and walk around the old city, Ben nearly passed out at this point due to the humidity. So we headed over to Fort Moltry. During the trip we learned that Ben and Sam had much in common(ADHD and medication wise). Later that day Sam came up to me and said, "So you married the future me". Apparently Sam feels a real connection with Ben, HA! That evening was spent with fireworks on the beach. Chris, Josh, Ben and I thankfully stayed in a hotel room in Charleston, it made for a nicer stay there!
Georgia was really nice, Grandpa has a really nice patio garden growing and seems to be doing really well. His new bedroom is spacious and lovely. Grandma Joan was a great hostess as usual. It was too short of a time with them, but I am greatful we had it.
Monday was spent at Kennedy Space Center, which completely thrilled Ben. Ben and I also were able to ride the new space launch simulator. It was okay... I think I liked the pre-ride show better than the lift off simulator. But it still makes for good memories. Tuesday we had planned on going out on the fishing boat, but by the time we made it to water and got in, Dad realized that we had forgotten the oars and the life vests... really it was divine intervention though because as soon as we started driving back the rain started pouring down.
That night we returned to hot, brown Vegas, and felt sad that we had to leave. It was a good time.
I will post pictures later... we are having computer technicalities....

3 comments:

Updike Update said...

glad to see you and ben blogging. it would have made for a great story if dad would have made christine and ben get out of the car in the middle of georgia. maybe next time. :)

Christine Lake said...

I thought I was pestering you rather than Ben. So mom just started singing Bens song to you. "Wendi your so smart, and you're good lookin too" just now, she sang it. Nice first blog attempt.

KMDuff said...

Sounds like a fun time! :) Mark's comment is funny.